Admit it… you’ve thought about playing online casino games. 

In fact, you have already visited some pretty good looking online casinos. You saw fantastic stuff, looking fun to play. Especially the game of Baccarat (persuasive name, by the way). 

And when you think of playing Baccarat, you get a little excited. Especially when playing for real money.

But how to learn the basics of the online Baccarat casino game quickly, so that you can soon start playing?

Online Baccarat casino game

The online baccarat casino game is easy to learn and full of suspense. On top of that, it offers good odds for the players. For example, compared with Roulette, the house edge of Baccarat is only 1.5 %, while roulette gives the house an advantage of around 5%.

online baccarat gameSo, let’s take a closer look to the rules of the game.

The basics of the game

The objective of baccarat is simple: make up a hand with a card value of 9 or as close to it as possible. The hand closest in value to 9 is the winner.

First, the bettor makes a bet on what the outcome of the game will be. There are three options: a banker win, a player win or a tie. Next, two hands are dealt – one is designated the banker hand, the other is the player hand. You may bet on either hand.

To avoid any confusion: don’t think of the banker hand as belonging to the house or the player hand belonging to the bettor. The banker and the player are the participants of the game, you are the bettor.

Each participant then receives two cards. Assuming neither participant has a natural hand (i.e. an automatic win, see below), each can take action depending on the total value of their hand.

Baccarat card values

Card values in the online baccarat casino game are straightforward and easy to remember:

  • Numbered cards 2 – 9: these cards are worth face value;
  • 10, Jack, Queen, and King: these cards are worth zero points;
  • Aces are worth 1 point.

Hand values are based on the last digit of the sum of all the card values.

Draws and stands

There are two actions that the participants in a game of baccarat (banker or player) can take – draw or stand. A draw (also referred to as a hit ) means that an additional card is dealt, bringing the total hand size up to three cards.

When a participant stands, this means that he doesn’t wish to draw and keeps to the current value of his hand.

There are rules for when a participant can draw or stand and these are different for the banker and the player.

Player’s hand

The player’s hand determines how the game proceeds in that the banker’s actions depend on whether the player has drawn or stood. The rules for the player’s actions are simple:

  • If the player has an initial total of 5 or less, he draws a third card;
  • If the player has a total of 6 or 7, he stands.

Banker’s hand

The player always takes action first and the banker’s options depend on which action that is. If the player stood (i.e. has two cards), the banker follows the same initial rule as the player. This means that if the banker has a hand value of 0 to 5, he draws and if it’s a value of 6 or 7, he stands.

Here are the rules the banker follows if the player has drawn a third card:

  • If the banker total is 2 or less, the banker draws a card every time
  • When the banker total is 3, the banker draws unless the player’s third card was an 8
  • If the banker total is 4, the banker draws if player’s third card was a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7
  • When the banker total is 5, the banker draws if player’s third card was 4, 5, 6 or 7
  • If the banker total is 6, the banker draws if player’s third card was a 6 or a 7
  • When the banker total is 7, the banker stands every time

How is the winning hand determined?

The winning hand is the one that is closest to the value of 9. When a player’s first two cards make up a value of 8 or 9, these are called ‘naturals’ and are automatically considered the winning hand.

Sometimes, the banker and the player hands are of equal value and this results in a tie.

Baccarat bets

There are three options a player can bet on in a game of baccarat.

Betting on Player

When a bettor bets on the player, they are essentially making a wager on their hand beating the banker’s. If the player’s hand is closer to 9 than the banker’s, this is a win and the bettor will receive a 1:1 payout.

Betting on banker

The banker bet is the most popular with players because the house edge is slightly lower than the player.

Betting on tie

The tie outcome is the most unlikely but it remains a exciting option because of its 8:1 payout. It is quite rare because it requires the player and banker hands to have exactly the same value.

Top 5 tips playing the online Baccarat casino game

Below some good advice when playing the online baccarat casino game for real money.

Keep an eye on your bankroll

This is by far the most important tip, applying to any gambling game. The top priority should always be to have sufficient funds in your bankroll to get through the bad times.

Forget the tie bet

Though the payout for this type of wager might look tempting, any experienced Baccarat player will tell you that the tie bet is the worst bet that a player can make. You have to be very lucky to pull this bet off because it only pays off 9% of the time.

Don’t keep track of the winning outcomes

True or not: one should keep track of patterns, in order to win the game? Nope, this is simply not true. In baccarat, the odds are similar to determining whether a coin toss will come up heads or tails. Each result is a separate event, so it is not possible to establish a sure-fire method for winning.

Quit when you’re on profit

You should quit when you are winning. Before you start playing a game of Baccarat, decide on the amount of money you would like to win. For example, if you have a bankroll of €200, you decide to stop as soon as your profit is €75. Once you reach this sum, you just quit!

Play short sessions

There isn’t any betting system that will help you overcome the house edge. Before you start playing, decide the number of games you’re going to play, let’s say 30. Then count them while you play along. Once you have played them all, you stop. You accept the outcome, whether it is a profit or loss. Never chase your losses.

Frequently Asked Questions about Online Baccarat

Why should I play online Baccarat?

Just to mention a few reasons: online casinos are 24/7 available. You can play at your own pace, with smaller stakes possible to as less as €0,10. Many online casinos offer free play so you can practice your skills without losing money.

What do I need to play the online Baccarat casino game for real money?

Basically, you will have to create an account and enter a number of personal details, including your bank account number. Next, you will have to deposit cash into your account, and you are ready to place your bets.

Is it safe to play Baccarat at online casinos?

Yes, provided the casino is licensed and regulated. So check out the casino’s trustworthiness before you start playing.

Can I play Baccarat on a mobile telephone?

Depending on the online casino, you can play Baccarat with the mobile browser or a mobile app.

What are the odds in the online Baccarat casino game?

The probability of the Banker’s hand and the Player’s hand winning are 45.86% and 44.62%, respectively. The probability of a Tie is 9.52%. Payouts are 19/20, 1/1, and 8/1, respectively.

Finally, a small history of Baccarat

It is generally accepted that Baccarat originated in France. However, some historians suggest that the game’s roots even go back to ancient China and Rome.

Baccarat-historyPai Gow (‘make nine’ in English) was a popular game in ancient China. It utilised tiles to denote numbers, potentially indicating a link to Baccarat, in which nine is the maximum score that can be achieved. In ancient Rome, various games were to be played involving rolling a nine-sided dice. Those who rolled an eight or nine received a prize.

The first official Baccarat rules were conceived by Felix Falguiere in the 15th century in Italy. Falguiere named the game ‘Baccara’ (Italian for zero) due to the fact that the majority of cards are worth zero. Because of the game’s popularity in France, the French spelling ‘Baccarat’ became adopted worldwide.

Baccarat was brought to France by soldiers returning to the country from conflicts with Italy by the end of the 15th century.

Gradually, it became more popular in the rest of Europe. IT received particular attention in the UK when it was involved in a royal scandal by the end of the 19th century. The coverage in the newspapers resulted in many readers getting familiar with the game’s rules.

Throughout the 1950s, a version of Baccarat was developed in Havana, named ‘punto banco’. It rapidly established itself as the preferred Baccarat format in casinos in South America.

Since then, Baccarat has experienced a substantial rise in popularity, especially due to online casinos in the last few decades. Nowadays, a wide range of Baccarat games can be played any time, any place on websites. It’s enjoyed by millions of gamblers across the globe. Macau is considered the world’s Baccarat hotspot, even outdoing Las Vegas.

Other online casino games:

BlackjackSlot machinesRouletteOnline Gambling